St Peter and St Paul's church is the parish church of Nutfield. It is mentioned in the Domesday book and so is thought to be of Saxon or Norman foundation.
The Church comprises a sanctuary and chancel and nave with north and south aisles, incorporating transepts. There is a three-stage tower at the west and a vestry on the north east side.
The original church was rebuilt to consist of a nave and chancel in 1200-1225 with the lower part of the chancel wall remaining. The north aisle was added in 1230. The chancel was extended and the upper part rebuilt in 1300-1320. The tower was built in the 1400s and in 1450 the south transept was added. The upper part of the tower was rebuilt in the late 18th century. The south aisle, organ chamber and priest's vestry were built in 1884.
Other items of interest include: the font with the date 1665 on the base (probably the date of restoration after being thrown out by the Puritans) but is about two centuries earlier; the pulpit with its 16th century Tudor woodwork; the 16th Century screen which has been much restored; the tomb of Thomas de Fulham, Rector 1305-1328. Two of the stained glass windows were designed by Burne-Jones and made by Morris and Co.
The Church roof and part of the building were severely damaged by the blast from a flying bomb in 1944. It has been lovingly restored, largely during the incumbency of the Rev'd Graham Williams, Rector from 1955 to 2005.
The south-west corner of the south aisle was converted in 2004 to provide a choir vestry, kitchen and WC with a small room above for choir practice and church meetings. There is also a childrens corner at the back of the north aisle.
(For more information click on Detailed History )